Thursday, March 12, 2009

Good News in the Economic Downturn

I have held many things in my hands,
and I have lost them all;
but whatever I have placed in God's hands,
that I still possess.

Martin Luther

The collapse of the share market and the associated implosion of a large prosperous financial company, have sent many in our community into financial difficulty. Like Luther, they once held wealth in their hands and have lost it all. Secure futures are now in doubt and comfortable retirements have been put on hold.

But there is good news. What you have put into God's hands has not dived in value. Years of faithful giving to Him are not devalued by an economic downturn. God is still multiplying your giving 100 times, sixty times and thirty times. Peter wrote
that believers have "an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade — kept in heaven for you:" 1 Peter 1:4. I used to think that we could only access that inheritance at a future time. I now know that the reason it is in heaven is to preserve it and increase its value. It is in heaven so that we can access it whenever we need it. Being in heaven guarantees us access to our finance at any time 365-24-7.

Givers can rejoice in God, even if they have lost on temporary money markets. What they have given to God is still there to bless both themselves and others.
Bob Lipsys

No comments:

Post a Comment