Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Should I trade my Bible for a Science Book?

Here is a quote from the Naked Pastor’s Blog
“Recently I spoke with a good friend who has left the church and Christianity because he was reading science, agreed with some conclusions, and automatically felt alienated from his beliefs. He felt, and often this is true, that he had a choice: science or faith.” from http://www.nakedpastor.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------

The above quote typifies a “intellectual block” many put forward towards the gospel.
They think science disproves the Bible in some way or other. I believe this claim requires a serious examination. Here is my response.

Before you put your faith in a modern science book, take a look at one from the early 1900's. I did, and as a Science teacher I'd say most of the information in it would be considered laughable if it were taught in universities or schools today. (eg the book stated that humans could not travel faster then the speed of sound etc). In 50 years time, the science we are now basing our lives on will likewise be surpassed. It will be replaced by more advanced theories and technologies.

No-one today puts their faith in a 100 year old science book. Yet many base their lives on the Bible which is 1900 years - 3500 years old, and they live successfully believing and living it. Based on the Bible, my marriage works, I have good relationships with and the respect of my teenage children, I know the Lord God, I receive comfort and strength, I've stood through many great storms in life, and I have always had hope.

In 50 years time today’s science books will be at the local rubbish tip. The Bible will still be the most read and trusted book in the world.
Why? It Works.

Why give up your faith in God for theories in a book that will no longer be around in 50 years time?


Blessings are falling round you,
Bob Lipsys

No comments:

Post a Comment